The Independent Living Coordinator/Employment Specialist/Benefits Counselor will provide a continuum of consumer and community independent living services through skills training, peer support, transition, information and referral, and advocacy to promote the inclusion of people with disabilities. Social Security benefits counseling to consumers seeking employment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
Employment Specialist duties include:
- Informing consumer of career opportunities
- Testing job skills
- Mock interviewing
- Resume building/writing
- Establishing working relationship with employment partners such as Career Link and Workforce Investment Board
Benefits Counselor duties include:
- Confidentially review current benefits with consumer to include:
- Social Security benefits
- Healthcare benefits
- Other financial assistance such as housing subsidy, SNAP, energy assistance, etc.
- Assist consumer with requesting their official Benefits Planning Quarterly statement from SSA.
- Prepare basic report for consumer and review.
- Establish living goals and career aspirations
Independent Living Coordinator duties:
- Provider peer support to enhance living with a disability
- Information and referrals
- Advocacy to promote the inclusion of people with disabilities
- Provide transition support services to individuals with disabilities as they move from one stage of life to the next stage and/or change in living situation
- Skills training to individuals with disabilities as they move from one stage of life to the next or one living situation to another.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree preferred or related experience around career development, employment support, or program implementation; or equivalent to two years to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in employment program and able to get credentialed under Employment Network Ticket to Work Program.