Coordinates and provides peer support, skills training, advocacy, information and referral and Nursing Home Transition (NHT) services to individuals, families, and the community. All the NHT Coordinator’s activities must reflect the Independent Living Philosophy. Duties include:
- Provide permission, encouragement, and support to consumers in pursuit of their personal goals.
- Assist consumers in the process of understanding themselves and their environment through active listening.
- Assist consumers in taking control of their own lives to meet their personal goals and to avoid unnecessary and/or unwanted segregation apart from the community.
- Engages consumers in an on-going, one-on-one or group discussion of goals and concerns such as personal areas of lifestyle, civil rights, ambition, experiences, frustrations, and desires in a manner that increases their network of resources for problem solving.
- Completes Monthly/Weekly calls and visits and ensures accurate and timely documentation of them.
- Ability to facilitate the development of behavior plans and consistent use of strategies.
- Provide training to consumers related to consumer service records, skill development and tapping into personal strengths and environmental resources.
- Assess critical incidents and directs actions to address such incidents. Counsels Coordinators and Attendants individually or in groups as needed, particularly in situations that are urgent or complicated.
- Provide support that increases the consumer’s appreciation for cooperation with other people with disabilities for mutual help.
- Keeps records of services provided using appropriate forms or consumer databases and compiles reports as needed including preparation of newsletter articles.
- Participates in conferences, staff meetings, in-service trainings, and committee work.
- Local and regional travel essential to responsibilities. Perform duties as a van driver as needed and assigned.
- Perform duties as an attendant as needed and assigned.
- Other duties may be assigned. All duties must be carried out in accordance with the organizational policies and applicable laws.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: High school diploma or equivalent with 4 years work experience in community-based programming a completion of a service specific training program. Possess communication skills and demonstrate teamwork with families, professionals, and coworkers.